Saturday, July 10, 2010

Reflections.....

Kinda crazy, i forgot about this site since facebook came into my life :) i had to search for it and finally pulled it out of oblivion!! Started this in 2008 and already almost 2 years have flown by.....
in the last 2 years i have changed so much, very good and unfortunately some not so good; Scot asked me a question a few weeks back and really got me thinking..."What made you start running? Not to be mean but i never saw you as a runner"
Started all my wheels turning as of how, in a matter of 1 year, it has become a passion! I thought back to April 2008, when it all began..............
you have to understand, i have struggled with my body image and weight since Courtnie was born. i have tried so many exercise videos like Denise Austin; pilates videos; lateral thigh trainer i bought from a TV infomercial as a few examples. i gained 60 pounds in my pregnancy, all the while doing a pregnancy workout video the whole time, to no avail! My sugars went through the roof, changed my diet and was able to not start insulin. SO needless to say, my prepregnancy weight has never been reached!
Scot was leaving for Iraq that April and i started thinking about how cool it would be for him to come home to a "new" me. i made a pact with myself to at least walk outside everyday after work, or take our dog out more often. i have to admit i didn't even do that! So when he left i did just that; i walked up and down our side street at first and then began to try and run. i would warm up with walking the dog and then do a second lap myself. i didn't keep track of time or milage, just did it! I remember how good i felt; how much better i handled the stress of Scot being gone; and little by little i enjoyed it more and more. Scot came home to a transforming woman, and it's been quite a ride!! When i asked Scot for an IPOD for my birthday, i knew exactly what i planning on...getting out there with my tunes!!
i kept up the routine up until it became too cold outside and was looking for a gym to switch to the treadmill. i hadn't been on a treadmill for AGES so i was alittle nervous, but i didn't want to loose what i've gained. Scot mentioned the air base had a gym and i could use it whenever i wanted - i had no idea the place had one! Needless to say, i motivated Scot to start going to the gym more often and even going together, which i LOVE!!
So i started my treadmill experience the fall of 2008 and really did like it. Don't have to worry about the weather or the right running clothes, just jump on! i drive right by the base everyday after work, so it was so easy to stop and run before going home. It became habit to make sure my gym bag was packed and ready before i went to bed every night. i still didn't keep track of milage; it was just that i was enjoying how i felt and feeling myself get stronger!! Of course the treadmill keeps track of how far you go and before too long, i was pushing myself to go more and more. Even when Spring of 2009 came, i didn't want to go outside and run. My treadmill was my best friend!! But by June, i convinced myself to go outside and tackle the sidewalk. Then came the first of many little problems that come with running. i struggled with shin splints the whole summer. i was discouraged but not defeated; those suckers are so painful!
August came and i wanted to push myself more, so i started documenting my miles and mapping out my runs on the computer. I was so amazed at how many miles i was running and not realizing it! August was 48.02 miles; September 58.58 miles; my goal for October was 60 and i made it!!!!! (60.51) i remember Scot standing out in the driveway when i rounded the cul-de-sac and hugged me that morning when i finished! November 45.93 miles; December 31.60; i didn't get over 50 much after that, but i kept pushing for as much as i could get. But looking back, i could see myself transforming into a runner and i loved it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment